Saturday, January 06, 2007

Happy New Year! Sorry for the delay in posting updates. I was far too busy eating, drinking, being with friends and family, and all those other holiday-type things. As you can see, the incredible man-eating tattoo has started to engulf my right arm. I decided on the seven-tenths length sleeve ("shichibu"). It's primarily composed of more crashing waves and rocks, punctuated with a solitary maple leaf. There is also a small plant growing out of the rock near my elbow. The scale of the tattoo doesn't allow for a whole lot of different elements on my puny arms. The tribal-style tattoo on my upper arm will be completely covered (It won't be missed. Oh, to be 18 again..). This is the first time any of my tattoo work has extended into an area that is usually uncovered (that's outside of my office, of course - at work it's long sleeves everyday). I'm sure it will spark a few interesting conversations since many people, even people I've known for ages, don't know about my tattoo work. These conversations tend to make me a little uncomfortable. Tattooing is a personal thing, and I'm not really much of an exhibitionist (I know, I know..the existence of this blog suggests otherwise ;). People always have such funny notions of what type of person gets a tattoo. Upon seeing the tattoo some people have said "oh, I never would have guessed you were that type of person". For some, the presence of ink in my skin apparently is enough to undo all of our past interactions. Wouldn't it make more sense for these people to reexamine their preconceived notions of "people with tattoos" now that they have some evidence which suggests these theories are bunkum? The next update will be in about 3 weeks. I believe in the next session we are going to complete the outline on the right side of my body.

No comments: